‘Unsurvivable’ – Incident report reveals details of bizarre paragliding accident at Sea Point that killed Scottish rugby coach – 2oceansvibe News

‘Unsurvivable’ – Incident report reveals details of bizarre paragliding accident at Sea Point that killed Scottish rugby coach – 2oceansvibe News

(Image source: South African Civil Aviation Authority)

Maybe you remember that Strange paragliding accident at Sea Point In July last year, which claimed the life of Scottish rugby coach Greg Oliver.

The 58-year-old was killed when his glider collided with another glider as they were descending Signal Hill.

An official air accident investigation report has now revealed how the pilot showed a “total disregard” for his passenger’s safety, putting Oliver through a series of rapid, dynamic acrobatic turns for which the parachute was not certified, according to the Daily Mail.

The 30-page report investigating the avoidable crash revealed that Oliver was placed in such a position to make the accident “unsurvivable”.

Father-of-two Oliver was an elite performance officer for Irish club Munster and was in Cape Town to support his 20-year-old son Jack playing for Ireland in the World Rugby Under-20 Championship. Oliver and two other rugby fathers who had flown in to support their sons decided to undertake a daring paragliding adventure off Signal Hill, not knowing there would be loss of life.

Photo: Facebook

Disaster struck when the three gliders took off from the 350-metre summit of Signal Hill in light three-knot winds, with the former Scots halfback said to be “nervous and nervous” at the front.

The 22-year-old pilot’s GoPro captured the whole ordeal, revealing how he bragged: “It’s going to be crazy!” before taking the Duet Two glider through a series of high-speed aerobatic ‘wings’ that it was never designed to perform before heading downward at speed. Oliver can be heard shouting and shouting “Jesus” as they twisted and flipped over the Sea Point promenade. Police confiscated the memory card for air accident investigators to analyze.

Photo: South African Civil Aviation Authority

Moments later, the demonstration pilot – who was believed not to have been watching where he was going – crashed his glider into another glider, collapsing the canopy.

“The Paraglider1 flight instructor showed complete disregard for the safe operation of a glider, demonstrated poor flying and did not adhere to procedures,” the report said.

The pair fell 250 meters towards the Atlantic Ocean below, where the nylon wing opened and several vital processing lines were cut off.

Photo: South African Civil Aviation Authority

The report said that the trainer used an emergency parachute, which inflated before hitting the water. The report poignantly states that when the glider hit the water, the pilot and passenger were still in their seats but only the pilot freed himself. It left Oliver injured and trapped in his harness, unable to free himself, overwhelmed by the weight of the chute and rigging as he fought the waves.

“There was no evidence of the instructor retracting the wing, rescuing the student pilot, or helping him unbuckle or free his seat. The flight instructor unbuckled his seat belt and swam to shore. But the student was stuck between rocks and could not free himself.”

“In addition, he did not have a grappling knife that would have enabled him to free himself from the suspension lines and wing fabric and remained trapped.”

While the pilot was making his way to safety at Rocklands Beach, Oliver was still trapped between the parachute material, and became pinned to the rocks. The former coach was trapped below the waterline when he was recovered by the NSRI in the icy waters of the Atlantic Ocean, battered by heavy swells and two-metre-high waves.

Photo: South African Civil Aviation Authority

The plane crashed 114 meters from shore and the impact occurred at 4:24pm in ideal flying conditions, 12 minutes into a 15-minute leisurely flight.

Oliver was lifted onto the rocks and CPR was performed but it was clear he was beyond rescue, so he was pronounced dead at the scene and his body was taken away by police.

Photo: Facebook

Shockingly, despite the tragedy that occurred more than eight months ago, South African authorities have been unable to provide post-mortem or toxicology results for Oliver. Thus the investigation had to conclude that Oliver was fatally injured during the accident sequence.

(Source: Daily Mail)

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *