The second accident after Cromwell George’s “disastrous” accident.

The second accident after Cromwell George’s “disastrous” accident.

The fatal crash, which closed the Cromwell and Clyde motorway for most of the day, was followed by a second crash this evening, close to where the first crash occurred.

The first crash occurred around 6:35 a.m. on State Highway 8 near the Cromwell Gorge picnic area, and involved two trucks and a car, police said.

One person was found dead at the scene, and one of the truck drivers sustained minor injuries and his condition was evaluated at the scene.

New Zealand Transport Agency Waka Kotahi said the road reopened at 4.25pm ​​after being closed since early morning.

However, another collision between two cars led to the road being partially closed again at around 5.50pm.

A police spokeswoman said this incident occurred a short distance south of Precinct 1 near the Jackson picnic area.

One lane remained open and traffic was able to flow under control.

Both vehicles had to be towed, but no serious injuries occurred.

New Zealand Fire and Emergency Services responded with two Cromwell units and assisted police with traffic control.

NZTA reported at about 7.25pm ​​that the road was clear.

Earlier in the day, Andrew Dalton, owner of Lake Dunstan Explorer, said he saw the site of the first accident while traveling across the lake on his first walk this morning.

“It’s catastrophic. There was a truck on its side. I could see the car partially but it was very mangled.”

With no immediate diversion available, commuters operating in Wanaka, Cromwell and Queenstown were stopped at a checkpoint on the Clyde side of the incident.

Freight trucks were parked high at the top of Clyde Hill waiting for the road to reopen.

Upper Clutha Transport manager Jimmy Harrington said the company was moving trucks from opposite ends of the crash site.

“It is not a problem compared to the problems faced by the emergency services and the families of those involved in the accident.”

Waka Kotahi said drivers may need to use the Lindis Pass to get to Wanaka and Queenstown.

“The alternative is for people to postpone their flights until later in the day.”

Police said they had not recommended a diversion via the Hawksburn Road from Clyde to Bannockburn because it was narrow and not suitable for two-wheel drive vehicles.

Central Otago District Council said “multiple road users” were using the road – a narrow, loose gravel track – as an alternative route.

Staff at the Hawksbourne Road end were managing unsuitable vehicles.

A vet from Central Lakes Equine Ltd has successfully crossed the Hawksbourne Road to care for a horse in Queenstown.

A spokeswoman said she was in an SUV and was the only person on the road. There were two cars coming in the other direction.

A Queenstown Airport spokesman was not aware of anyone missing flights.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *