Puppy burned with acid after ‘potty accident’ and had his leg and tail amputated

Puppy burned with acid after ‘potty accident’ and had his leg and tail amputated

A puppy narrowly escaped death in Detroit after being doused in acid, and her injuries were so severe that she underwent amputation.

On July 30, 12-week-old puppy Amira was surrendered to the Michigan Anti-Cruelty Society covered in chemical burns from acid. A doctor with the association reached out to Woodhaven Animal Hospital, where he also works, and Dr. Lucretia Greer for help. She has over 20 years of experience in stem cell treatments and did not hesitate to help Amira.

Jarir said Newsweek That Amira was burned after having a potty accident in her box.

Puppy in bandages with the doctor
From left: Princess puppy with bandages; and receiving hugs from Dr. Patricia Audette of the Animal Resources Finance Corporation. The tiny pup underwent multiple surgeries and double amputations after acid was doused on her.
Animal Resources Finance Corporation

Greer said that the doctors could not begin surgeries immediately, as they had to stabilize Amira’s condition before treatment. This included between 40 and 50 baths to help remove dead tissue. Amira’s condition was miserable.

“You can smell a chemical smell every time you bathe her,” Greer said. “We almost needed to see the worst of it before we could start our treatment plan.”

This process took a few weeks. Amira lost part of her ear and the tip of her nose. Her toes were falling off. The hospital ended up amputating her tail because it was rotting.

Last Tuesday, doctors decided to amputate her leg as well. The acid eats right through her muscles, tissues and bones. The infection became so large that there was no option but amputation.

Treatment plan

There was no hesitation in helping Amira, and he did everything in his power to treat her through a special skin grafting procedure. Greear teamed up with veterinary biotechnology company Hilltop Bio, which supplied the animal hospital with amniotic skin derived from horse placenta, a first for the clinic.

Greer used the amniotic membrane product on Amira’s cleansed skin during surgery in August. That, along with hyperbaric chamber treatments, was the plan of action to help Amira create new skin and tissue and heal.

Greer said that Amira has since been able to grow her hair again, but she is still in the recovery stage. The better Amira feels, the more confident she becomes. She’s a very happy pup, considering the horrific experience she went through.

“A month from now, or two months from now, it will seem like nothing happened,” Greer said. “Her story will be just a story.”

Greer added that she hopes this membrane treatment will be a step in the right direction for the medical field. As horrific as Amira’s story is, the silver lining is that her life was saved, and this medical treatment could one day be used to help other animals or even human patients.

Dr. Patricia Audette, president of the Animal Resources Funding Foundation, intervened immediately when she heard about Amira’s condition. The Foundation has paid, and will continue to pay, for Amira’s surgeries. Odette estimated the cost at $15,000.

“We’ve had other burn dogs, but she’s not as bad as Amira,” Odette told Newsweek. “They were fire dogs that caught fire. I’ve never seen arson.”

Amira still has a long way to go before her helpers start thinking about adopting her. The team is dealing with her case day by day. She has stitches and is still receiving hyperbaric chamber treatments.

Fortunately, the staff transferred Amira from the hospital to different nursing homes. She has to run outside, roll in the grass, and be a normal dog. The hope is that she will only have one or two surgeries.

Do you have funny and adorable videos or photos of your pet that you want to share? send to life@newsweek.com With a few details about your best friend, it could appear on this week’s pet list.