Prison for a man with schizophrenia who jumped from a minibus, causing a fatal accident for an ECP

Prison for a man with schizophrenia who jumped from a minibus, causing a fatal accident for an ECP

SINGAPORE: A man was sentenced to seven months in prison on Monday (April 1) after he jumped from a minibus on a highway, leading to the death of a motorcyclist last year.

Eldaniz Ibishov’s actions on the East Coast Road (ECP) caused a collision between a truck and a motorcycle and the motorcyclist, Mr. Mehmet Nurhelmi Atan, succumbed to his injuries.

Ibishoff, 39, pleaded guilty to one count of causing Mr Norhelmi grievous harm by rash behaviour, and one count of remaining on a section of the motorway that is not a pedestrian route.

The Russian national appeared in court using crutches during a hearing in December, but was able to stand and walk without assistance on Monday.

The court heard that Ibishov traveled to Singapore from Azerbaijan and arrived on November 8, 2023 – the day of the incident.

He had asked a travel agent to arrange transportation from Changi Airport to his hotel, and he was the only passenger in the minibus. Epishoff sat in the front, near the door on the left.

The minibus driver was traveling on the ECP station when he answered two calls on his mobile phone.

Deputy Prosecutor Joseph Joy said Ebishoff saw a photo of a man wearing a hat on the driver’s phone, which was placed in a phone holder.

Ibishoff became agitated, and the driver noticed he was trying to unbuckle his seatbelt and open the passenger door.

The driver slowed the minibus from about 70 to 80 kilometers per hour to 30 to 40 kilometers per hour and told Ibishoff that he would let him out on the side of the road.

But Ibishov, who did not understand English, ignored the driver and jumped from the moving bus onto the second lane of the ECP.

This caused the truck to apply emergency brakes to avoid hitting Ibishoff. The truck driver tried to pull away, but Ibishoff blocked him again when he entered the third lane, and had to brake.

The victim, Mr Nourhalmi, was riding his motorcycle and collided with the back of the truck when this happened. The incident was reported to the police at around 11 am.

Mr. Nourhelmi suffered fractures to his torso, right arm and leg, and was bleeding in his head, neck, cardiovascular system, liver and thyroid. He was pronounced dead at around 12:40 p.m.

Meanwhile, Ibishov retrieved his belongings from the highway and the minibus that had stopped at the side of the road.

He walked along the ECP line towards Shires Bridge for 30 minutes to an hour, before taking a taxi to his hotel. Police arrested him there later that afternoon.

A psychiatric evaluation at the Institute of Mental Health found that Ebishoff suffered from schizophrenia and that this was linked to his crimes.

However, the prosecutor said he was not of unsound mind at the time, was aware of his actions, and understood their potential consequences.

Mr Joy asked for Ibishov to be jailed for eight to 12 months, arguing that the degree of recklessness he had shown and the harm he had caused was high.

He added: “Although the accused was influenced by his schizophrenia to believe he was the intended victim of a kidnapping, he made the decision to jump from the moving car despite being aware of the risks of doing so and the potential consequences.” prosecutor.

Defense lawyer Barry Douglas Delaney said Ibishov’s mental health had deteriorated during his final week in Azerbaijan, and he had increased his medication.

He said Ebishoff was suffering a relapse at the time, and his mental condition could have been worsened by his 18-hour flight to Singapore.

Delaney said his client viewed jumping off the bus as an “act of self-preservation.”

The lawyer added that Ebishoff was remorseful, and that his family offered Mr. Nurhelmi’s family a sum of 2,000 Singapore dollars (US$1,482) to show their good faith, which the victim’s family accepted.

Regarding whether Ebishoff was suffering a relapse at the time, Mr Joy replied that psychiatric reports issued by the Institute of Mental Health (IMH) stated that he was in partial remission.

In the ruling, District Judge Toh Han Lee pointed to the causal link between Ebishoff’s schizophrenia and his behaviour, but also pointed to the psychiatrist’s conclusion that he was not devoid of self-control or self-control.

For example, Ebishoff only jumped out of the minibus when it slowed down and refrained from doing so when it was traveling at high speed, the judge noted.

The penalty for causing grievous hurt by a rash act is imprisonment of up to four years, a fine of up to S$10,000, or both.

A first-time offender who remains on foot on a section of the highway that is not a pedestrian route could be jailed for up to three months or fined up to S$1,000.

    (tags for translation)court

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *