Nadine Arslanian Menendez car accident: Where are the phone records?

Nadine Arslanian Menendez car accident: Where are the phone records?


4 minute read

He plays

This was quickly mentioned in police reports detailing Nadine Arslanian Menendez’s car accident in December 2018, in which the car she was driving struck and killed a Bogotá man.

Conveniently overlooked in reports filed by both the Bogota Police Department and the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office, officials indicated that Arslanyan’s phone records would be subpoenaed as part of the investigation into the crash that killed Richard Cobb.

Those subpoenas were never issued, and the phone records were never turned over to investigators, The Record and NorthJersey.com found after searching public records related to the fatal crash.

When these records were requested, as well as records related to any warrants issued in aid of the subpoenas, authorities responded by saying that no such records existed in the Bogotá Police Department or in the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office.

Arslanian — who began dating Sen. Bob Menendez in February 2018 and married him in October 2020 — did not face any charges at the time of the accident, which led to the death of 49-year-old Cobb.

What we know: Nadine Menendez beat and killed a man in Bogotá in 2018

Federal bribery indictments prompt new scrutiny

The incident has now received attention, despite its connection to the indictment against a New Jersey senator, his wife and three businessmen filed by the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York last month.

The indictment alleges that the senator, his wife, and businessman Wael Hanna conspired for Menendez to act as a foreign agent from January 2018 until at least June 2022 for the benefit of the Egyptian government and Egyptian officials, even while he was serving as Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. .

Menendez – along with his wife Hannah, Edgewater developer Fred Debes and businessman Jose Uribe – also faces corruption charges, brought by the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York, of accepting hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes from US businessmen. In exchange for helping them enrich themselves and trying to get them out of trouble.

Details of the Dec. 12, 2018 incident, first published on NorthJersey.com, show Arslanian initially agreed to let Bogota police officers look at her phone. She quickly changed her mind and returned the phone.

Police records do not show that any field sobriety tests were conducted. There is also no indication that she was questioned about drinking alcohol or using any type of drugs.

The Bogotá police report, filed by Patrolman Kevin Geraghty on February 25, 2019, says that the day after the incident “a subpoena was issued to obtain Ms. Arslanyan’s cell phone records” and later notes that “a supplementary investigative report will be issued” pending… Responding to the subpoena issued regarding Ms. Arslanian’s cell phone records.

Father, Hunter, “Dad” tape: Who is Richard Cobb, the man who killed Nadine Menendez with a car?

Additional reports provided by Patrolman Michael Laferrera and Sgt. Thomas Riddle did not mention any subpoenas, nor another report prepared by Officer Dennis DeAngelis of the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office Fatal Accident Investigation Unit.

The indictment says that a month after the accident, Arslanian was texting Hanaa, an Egyptian-American businessman, about her lack of a car. The indictment says Hanna later provided her with a 2019 Mercedes-Benz C-300 convertible.

Registration records show the 2019 Mercedes was purchased in March of that year.

The New Jersey Attorney General’s Office of Public Integrity and Accountability is investigating the circumstances of the incident.

“Maybe a big problem.”

Depending on the parameters, the response time on a subpoena can take a few months because it goes to the cellphone provider, noted Kim Yonta, a New Brunswick-based attorney.

Sometimes this request is accompanied by a warrant, but it does not have to be, and when records are provided they include all phone calls or letters with dates and times.

Yonta also said that the subpoena will be issued by the agency investigating the incident. In this case it will be either the Bogota Police Department or the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office.

“I remember when I was an assistant district attorney, I had to call these companies and ask, ‘Where are my records?’ She said, ‘I sent you this two months ago.’ “So it happens. If this is what happened and it fell through holes somewhere, this would likely be a big problem.

What do the Cobb family say?

Rosemary Cobb, the sister of the man who was killed that night, said it “worries” her and “it’s horrifying to think that five years later we still don’t have information on the phone records.”

Cobb’s family said they just hope the district attorney’s office can look into the matter impartially to find out what happened and how Cobb’s death could have been “swept completely under the rug.”

“We are grateful the indictment has brought matters to light again. “We didn’t think it would ever happen,” Rosemary Cobb said.

“We don’t trust anything, and we continue to question it,” she said. “If you trust the investigation, you can say okay and accept it. But we can’t after so many years. We understand that real accidents happen, but when the investigation is one-sided, how can you determine that it is a real accident?

She added: “Why didn’t Richard get due process?” How did you stop this? Richard deserves justice.”

Katie Sopko covers the New Jersey statehouse. Email: sobko@northjersey.com

Christy Catavi covers local government in Bergen County. Email: cataffi@northjersey.com

You may also like...

Leave a Reply