Haas bid to reinvestigate US Grand Prix into alleged track limit violations rejected by stewards | Formula 1 news

Haas bid to reinvestigate US Grand Prix into alleged track limit violations rejected by stewards |  Formula 1 news

Austin stewards ruled after a video hearing that the evidence Haas presented to them regarding alleged track boundaries from the October 22 race did not constitute a “significant and relevant new element”; But stewards are strongly calling for improved methods for enforcing track limit rules


16:32 UK time, Thursday 09 November 2023

Haas’ attempt to persuade the United States Grand Prix stewards to reinvestigate incidents of additional alleged track limit violations in the October 22 race has been rejected.
However, with the team’s challenge dismissed on the basis that the evidence presented did not meet the standards required for a successful Right of Review challenge, the Austin stewards described the current situation regarding track limit control in Formula 1 as “wholly unsatisfactory” and called for changes ahead of the start of the 2024 season.

The moderators say they “strongly recommend to all concerned that a solution be deployed quickly to prevent a recurrence of this widespread problem.”

Thus, Haas may feel that his case is still worthwhile for the greater good in terms of ensuring greater consistency in the future in the management of the controversial issue of track boundaries, even if their challenge regarding what happened in Austin is dismissed.

Excerpts from the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas

The supervisors, who met again Thursday afternoon via video conference that had been postponed from Wednesday, decided that Haas’s requests did not meet the criteria required to be fully entitled to a review investigation.

“The right to review petition was denied because there was no significant and relevant new element that was not available to Haas at the time the decision was made,” the supervisors’ statement said.

Haas provided on-board footage from four competing cars that it believes showed drivers committing track limit violations at Turn 6, incidents that were not investigated at the time by the stewards.

The on-board footage came from the Williams cars of Alex Albon and Logan Sargeant, the Red Bull of Sergio Perez and the Aston Martin of Lance Stroll. Footage of Albon’s car also showed the location of the following cars.

Albon, who finished ninth in the race, was given a five-second penalty during the race for leaving the track four times without justification but escaped punishment in a second investigation later for alleged irregularities at Turn Six.

Supervisors said the footage available at that angle was “insufficient to make an accurate and consistent conclusion” that Albon committed multiple violations.

In their summary ruling explaining why Haas’ review challenge was rejected, the stewards decided that the on-board portion of Albon’s car, which also showed the following cars, was “substantial” as it appeared to show some potential irregularities.



picture:
Haas driver Nico Hulkenberg finished the race just outside the points in eleventh place in the United States

However, it was considered neither new nor relevant, as the stewards explained, referring to their original decision: “Lane boundary violations are almost universally enforced based on the main video evidence from a fixed CCTV camera of appropriate resolution placed to clearly see the position of the vehicle in relation to the lane boundary.” .

“The CCTV camera for Turn 6 did not meet this criterion because it did not cover the apex of the turn. Since on-board cameras are only useful for checking penetration when viewing a car in front of the camera car and not the camera car itself, the stewards believe they cannot accurately and consistently conclude whether There is a breach for every car on every lap.

“Anecdotal use of rear-car video, which may or may not be available for a potential violation of any particular vehicle at any given time, does not meet the standard of accurate and consistent evidence.”

It was held that the evidence presented by Sargeant, Perez and Stroll did not meet any of the criteria necessary to proceed with a right of review.

Hosts want better solutions for detecting route boundary violations

It is the call for stewards to improve the ability to monitor route boundary violations that will therefore have a long-lasting impact from this situation.

“The stewards have seen individual evidence showing what appear to be potential track limit violations at the top of Turn 6, and find their inability to properly apply the current standard for track limits for all competitors to be entirely unsatisfactory, and therefore strongly recommend to those concerned that a solution should be deployed quickly to prevent The recurrence of this problem is widespread.

“Whether the issue is properly addressed through better technical solutions, course adjustments, a combination thereof, or different standards of organization and implementation, referees are leaving it up to those best placed to make such assessments.

“However, based on the timing of this decision, it is clear that a full resolution cannot happen this year, as a practical matter. But given the number of different circuits where significant track confinement issues have emerged this season, the FIA ​​acknowledges that “ “While the circuits have already made great strides, other solutions must be found before the start of the 2024 season.”

The issue of drivers crossing the white line that defines the circuit with all four wheels has been a thorn in Formula 1 in recent seasons, reaching what may be considered its nadir at the Austrian Grand Prix last July when more than 1,200 track limit violations were reported to stewards.

With not all incidents able to be reviewed during the 71-lap, 85-minute race duration, additional driver penalties were not imposed and the final classification issued until five hours after the flag fell.

Get ready for the big event: Formula 1 in Las Vegas! Watch drivers race along the Strip, past landmarks such as Caesars Palace and Bellagio, on Formula 1’s newest street track. Watch the entire Las Vegas GP weekend live on Sky Sports F1 from November 17-19. Stream F1 on Sky Sports with NOW

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *