Four construction workers in Hong Kong were injured by falling metal rods in the latest series of industrial accidents at sites in the city

Four construction workers in Hong Kong were injured by falling metal rods in the latest series of industrial accidents at sites in the city

Four workers were injured, two of them seriously, after falling metal rods at a construction site in Hong Kong on Saturday, with a wire rope on a crane truck being cut while delivering goods.

Police said they received a report at around 1.30pm about an incident at a site at the intersection of Ferry Street and Kansu Street in Yau Ma Te, where four workers were pinned with iron objects.

A preliminary investigation revealed that a steel wire in the crane truck was broken while delivering the bars.

Police received a report about the incident at around 1.30pm on Saturday. Photo: Yik Young Man

Firefighters then arrived at the scene and freed the four workers, aged between 40 and 50, police said.

A police spokesman said: “Two people who were seriously injured were taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.” “The other two, who sustained minor injuries, were sent to Kwong Wah Hospital. All four were conscious.”

Calling for better construction supervision in Hong Kong after the death of 3 workers

He added that the police classified the incident as an industrial accident and are conducting an investigation.

Fai Siew Sin Man, CEO of the Work Accident Victims’ Rights Association, said the two men who were seriously injured had fractured skulls.

She added that she was “confused and angry” because it was the ninth accident involving lifting operations, which killed six people, this year.

“There have been at least 20 fatal industrial accidents in the construction industry so far this year,” she said.

“There will be frequent lifting work in the future due to the proliferation of prefabricated buildings and the installation of giant pieces such as glass curtain walls, which increases the risk of such accidents.”

Recent industrial accidents at construction sites have prompted the Minister of Labor to step up efforts to address safety mismanagement.

Earlier on Saturday, Labor and Welfare Minister Chris Soon Yuk Han told a radio program that authorities will work with the Ministry of Justice to prosecute contractors involved in illegal actions.

Demands more penalties for Hong Kong construction companies that fail to protect workers

He added that the Ministry of Labor will issue orders to stop work at the sites in question while the Development Office will suspend bidding qualifications for these contractors.

In the latest fatal industrial accident, a 58-year-old worker was killed at a construction site in Tung Chung on Friday afternoon after being hit in the head by a sheet of aluminum that fell during the lifting process.

The Ministry of Labor said it was deeply concerned and had suspended the contractor’s work until it was “satisfied that the necessary measures have been taken to reduce the relevant risks.”

Siu urged authorities and contractors to handle lifting operations more carefully in the future. She called for more information about Saturday’s accident to be published as soon as possible.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *