Construction work has resumed on the South Station Tower amid the investigation into the accident

Construction work has resumed on the South Station Tower amid the investigation into the accident

Construction work on the 51-story South Station tower resumed Wednesday, less than a week after a steel beam fell from the top floor and shattered several windows before landing on top of a commuter rail platform, officials said.

Suffolk Construction, the company building the South Station tower, said in a statement that the incident remains under investigation by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, or OSHA. However, Suffolk said the loading system involved in the incident, which is owned by a subcontractor, is no longer being used on the project.

Suffolk said in a statement that the red beam that fell was a climbing rail for the loading system, and that it “came out and fell while it was being assembled.” The beam shattered several windows on the way down before coming to rest on the ninth floor, just above the railroad platform, said James Green, deputy chief of the Boston Fire Department.

No injuries were reported.

Last week, the MBTA asked Suffolk to stop work “immediately” after MBTA General Manager Philip Eng spoke with the company, according to Lisa Battiston, an MBTA spokeswoman. Suffolk, the MBTA and OSHA have agreed to “temporarily shut down” the project until “we are confident in the safety of the work site,” Suffolk said in a statement last week.

The MBTA ordered Hines, the Texas developer behind the project, “to take a number of safety measures in accordance with its agreement with the MBTA,” and said the company was “responsible to reimburse the MBTA for all costs” related to the accident. According to Patton.

The MBTA lifted the “stop work notice” on Tuesday, however, Battiston said It did not explain what additional safety measures were taken before construction resumed and did not respond to requests for comment on any potential compensation from Heinz.

There were no updates on OSHA’s ongoing inspection Thursday, According to Ted Fitzgerald, a spokesman for the federal agency.

Mayor Michelle Wu said the city is working closely with the agency “to understand exactly what happened.”

“Construction site safety is not an option,” Wu said last week. “There should be no doubt that workers will go home safe, happy and healthy to their families at the end of each day.”

The city’s Department of Inspectional Services met twice with Suffolk to discuss the incident, develop safety plans, and develop an emergency plan that all workers must follow, according to a city spokesman. City officials also recommended that site supervisors implement several new policies, including keeping a detailed safety log and holding pre-shift meetings.

“These additional measures are another tool to ensure construction and demolition operations in Boston are conducted in a manner that protects the health, well-being and safety of workers and the public,” a city spokesperson said in an email.

Construction on the 51-story tower, which has been in the works for more than three decades, began just before the pandemic began in 2020 and after the project developer closed on an $870 million construction loan.

The project is being built “directly above” The train and bus station are in South Station, according to the construction company’s website. Currently in “Phase One” of construction, the 1-million-square-foot tower will include 166 luxury residential units on the upper floors and 685,000 square feet of office space.

Material from previous Globe reports was used in this article.


Ava Berger can be reached at ava.berger@globe.com. follow her @Ava_Berger_. Lila Hempel-Edgers can be reached at lila.hempeledgers@globe.com. Follow her on X @hempeledgers And on Instagram @lila_hempel_edgers.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *