A South Carolina woman loses her hand after a freak accident with a hair dryer

A South Carolina woman loses her hand after a freak accident with a hair dryer

US News


A South Carolina woman lost her hand in a freak hair-drying accident and had to leave her career as a dog groom due to the horrific injury.

Mary Wilson was drying her hair before bed at her James Island home when she passed out while the dryer was still running on high power on February 7, 15 News reported.

Mary Wilson

She lay on the floor for about 20 minutes when her partner found her on top of the hairdryer.

“She says to me, ‘Your hand, your hand,'” Wilson explained.

“I’m looking at my hand. I don’t even register that this is part of me. It doesn’t even seem recognizable.”

She was taken to hospital and doctors had to amputate her hand and wrist due to severe nerve damage caused by the heat of the hair dryer.

Wilson believed the shock of the device caused her to lose consciousness.

She claimed that the hair dryer did not have an automatic shut-off feature, like other hot hair tools, and if there had been one, she might still have had her hand.

Wilson was drying her hair in her bathroom before bed when she passed out while the dryer was still running on high power. WCIV
Wilson was taken to hospital after her partner discovered her. Mary Wilson

“You see that with straighteners and flat irons — they have a ceramic plate that turns off once it reaches a certain temperature,” she said.

“If that were the case, maybe my injuries wouldn’t be so bad.”

Before the life-changing injury, Wilson was a dog groomer, a career she’s had to give up now that she only has one hand and isn’t sure if she’ll ever be able to work with man’s best friend again.

Doctors had to amputate her hand and wrist due to severe nerve damage caused by the heat of the hair dryer. WCIV

“It really takes into account all the other issues I’ve been dealing with in my life for six months, and it’s inconsequential to the things I have to face now, or the challenges I’m going to have to go through.” “In the future,” she told WSFA.

Despite the injury, she is trying to stay positive and is looking forward to getting a prosthetic hand.

“I’ll still be living my life to the fullest. It’s just a hand. What is this, 10% of my body? Losing my hand may be something that changes who I am, but that doesn’t mean it defines me in every way,” Wilson told the outlet.

Wilson believed the shock of the device caused her to lose consciousness. WCIV

Wilson was touched by the support she received, describing it as “incredible.”

“It’s support I never knew I had, and it definitely meant a lot,” she told 15 News.

Wilson shared that a local restaurant, Bohemian Bull, plans to donate some of the proceeds they receive from the upcoming Cornhole Tournament to help with recovery efforts.





https://nypost.com/2024/03/22/us-news/south-carolina-woman-loses-hand-after-freak-accident-with-hair-dryer/?utm_source=url_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site 20% buttons
Copy the share URL

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *